The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to improving educational outcomes for individuals with exceptionalities, students with disabilities, and/or the gifted. CEC advocates for appropriate governmental policies, sets professional standards, provides continual professional development, advocates for newly and historically underserved individuals with exceptionalities, and helps professionals obtain conditions and resources necessary for effective professional practice.
Here in New Jersey, CEC is 1500 members strong! This membership includes teachers, administrators, child study team members, paraprofessionals, families, and more. In addition, our Student CEC unit consists of college and university students from around the state, who will be entering the field of special or general education in the near future. and resources including our annual Spring Conference and Student CEC workshops.
Look what we have to offer!
- Professional Development Opportunities ..... and resources including our annual Spring Conference and Student CEC workshops.
- Legislative Advocacy ..... Be an active part of our advocacy efforts by following the events in the Policy and Advocacy area of the site.
- Opportunities to Serve ..... on our executive board and/or various committees which serve our students here in New Jersey.
- Scholarship Program ..... providing scholarships to High School Seniors pursuing secondary education or training.
- Awards Program ..... recognizing the top professionals in the field from our state.
- Newsletters ..... with information on happenings in NJCEC.
- Optional Membership in NJCEC Subdivisions ..... through membership in any of CEC’s 17 divisions, each specializing in a different aspect of the field of Special Education.
- Networking Opportunities ..... Meet others in the field, make new friends and connections to expand your Special Education "Network"!